Vapor deposited tungsten oxide layers are functional in self-darkening window panes. Tungsten trioxide is yellow-white and fully transparent in the form of a thin layer. Light converts WO3 to dark blue W20O58 in a reversible reaction, so the light transmission through the pain is reduced in bright sunshine, and the light transmission returns with clouds or at sunset.
SPORT AND LEISURE
High-tech golf clubs (drivers) and balls contain parts of tungsten to improve stability and performance.
- Professional darts are made of tungsten heavy metal to stabilize the trajectory.
- Trekking poles contain cemented carbide hard nails for sure footedness.
- High-performance skating blades are made of tungsten-bearing high speed steel to ensure high strength and stability at optional gliding conditions.
- Tungsten sulfide is used as additive to high performance glides waxes used in skiing and snowboarding.
- Tungsten heavy metal weights are used for the balancing of Formula 1 racing cars.
- Soccer shoes – a tungsten powder-filled element shifts weight towards the point of impact and ensure maximum take-off and speed of the ball.
- Tungsten Iridium polarized sunglasses (TANGENT HDO®) give optimal clarity and eye protection.
Wedding rings, made of tungsten carbide
- Watchcase and strap made of scratch-free cemented carbide tungsten heavy metal rotors used in automatic watches.
- Tungsten carbide makes the most wear resistant bracelets and pendants
Tungsten has played an important part in a series of enzymes used by ancient tungsten-using organisms.
- Genetic engineers use small tungsten or gold particles (micro carriers) to insert new genes into host cells.